Groupprops:Search engine performance report (July)
This is a status report describing the status and performance of the wiki with respect to some parameters
Please refer Groupprops:Performance in search engines to understand more of the ideas and theory.
Also compare with a past report:
This report is as of 25th July, and involves results both of Google search and of Yahoo! search.
- 1 Performance on searches looking for group theory repositories
- 2 Performance on definition articles
- 3 Performance on survey articles and proof articles
- 4 Site-specific search
Performance on searches looking for group theory repositories
- "group theory wiki" in quotes gives groupprops in the top two entries
- "wiki in group theory" gives a link to a blog post of mine, which points to the groupprops wiki
For more loosely worded searches, however, Groupprops comes nowhere near the top.
Performance on definition articles
High-profile definition articles
This includes definition articles for terms like group, subgroup, normal subgroup, order of a group and so on. A listing of the kind of terms being referred to is available at: Category:Basic definitions in group theory
So far, the groupprops wiki does not figure anywhere near the top positions for any of these, for either Google search or Yahoo! search over the entire web.
Abstruse definition articles
- "Strictly characteristic subgroup" returns only a page of entries on Google, one of which points to the groupprops article on strictly characteristic subgroup. On Yahoo!, "strictly characteristic subgroup" gives a link to the article on fully characteristic subgroup within the first page of results.
- "Contranormal subgroup" returns 238 results on Google, of which the third is the Groupprops article on contranormal subgroup. On Yahoo!, it does not turn up in the search results.
- "IA automorphism" returns 351 results on Google, of which the first fifty do not have any Groupprops article. Yahoo! search, on the other hand, puts the groupprops article at the third place.
- "Capable group" along with "inner automorphism" gives, in its first page, a link to the Groupprops page on inner automorphism group, though there is no link to the capable group page.
Terminology local to the wiki
- "Transitively normal subgroup" returns the groupprops entry at the fourth position on Google search. Yahoo! search does not give a link to the groupprops entry but links to many other groupprops entries.
- "Normal extensible automorphism" returns the groupprops entry at the very top of Google search, and does not return any results on Yahoo! search.
Performance on survey articles and proof articles
- "Characteristic implies normal" gives exactly one result on Yahoo! search, pointing to the normal subgroup page. Google search gives 4 results of which 3 are from Groupprops, though nand the top one points to the actual characteristic implies normal page.
- "Characteristic subgroup of a normal subgroup is normal" does not give a direct link to the page characteristic of normal implies normal, but its fourth entry on Google goes to the normal versus characteristic page that links to the relevant page. Yahoo! search does not give any relevant result in the first page.
- "Normal versus characteristic" returns two entries on Google, one to the normal versus characteristic page on groupprops, and one to the search engine performance report itself! On Yahoo! there are no results.
- "Characteristic versus normal" also returns two entries on Google, one to the normal versus characteristic page on groupprops, and one to the characteristic subgroup page.
Listed below are the most linked-to pages on Groupprops, and their performance on search within the site in Google:
- Group has 308 links, returns 475 results on Google
- Subgroup property has 264 links, returns 226 results on Google
- Normal subgroup has 213 links, returns 164 results on Google
- Group property has 191 links, returns 107 results on Google
- Subgroup has 165 links, and returns 297 results on Google
- Characteristic subgroup has 86 links, and returns 73 results on Google
- Simple group has 56 links, and returns 54 results on Google
- Solvable group has 50 links, and returns 18 results on Google
- Nilpotent group has 49 links, and returns 30 results on Google