Characteristicity is strongly intersection-closed
This article gives the statement, and possibly proof, of a subgroup property (i.e., characteristic subgroup) satisfying a subgroup metaproperty (i.e., strongly intersection-closed subgroup property)
View all subgroup metaproperty satisfactions | View all subgroup metaproperty dissatisfactions |Get help on looking up metaproperty (dis)satisfactions for subgroup properties
Get more facts about characteristic subgroup |Get facts that use property satisfaction of characteristic subgroup | Get facts that use property satisfaction of characteristic subgroup|Get more facts about strongly intersection-closed subgroup property
- 1 Statement
- 2 Related facts
- 3 Definitions used
- 4 Proof
An arbitrary (possibly empty) intersection of characteristic subgroups of a group is a characteristic subgroup.
Statement with symbols
Suppose is an indexing set and is a collection of characteristic subgroups of a group . Then, the intersection of subgroups is also a characteristic subgroup of .
- Invariance implies strongly intersection-closed: Any invariance property (i.e., a property that can be expressed as invariance under a certain collection of functions) is strongly intersection-closed: an arbitrary intersection of subgroups with the property again has the property.
Other particular cases of this general result are:
- Normality is strongly intersection-closed
- Strict characteristicity is strongly intersection-closed
- Full characteristicity is strongly intersection-closed
Analogues in other algebraic structures
- Characteristicity is strongly intersection-closed in Lie rings
- Derivation-invariance is strongly intersection-closed
Related metaproperty satisfactions and dissatisfactions for characteristicity
- Characteristicity is transitive: A characteristic subgroup of a characteristic subgroup is characteristic.
- Characteristicity is strongly join-closed: The subgroup generated by a collection of characteristic subgroups is characteristic.
- Characteristicity is not finite-relative-intersection-closed
- Characteristicity does not satisfy intermediate subgroup condition
- Characteristicity does not satisfy transfer condition
Further information: Characteristic subgroup