This article is about a type of user of Groupprops
A beginner is one of the target user profiles for the Groupprops wiki.
Characterization of beginners
Most beginners to group theory are people doing a first course in group theory. Usually group theory may be part of a first course in abstract algebra.
People doing a first course in group theory or abstract algebra usually:
- Have a grounding in elementary algebra and the use of symbols
- Have no prior exposure to abstract algebra
Apart from people starting out with a formal course, beginners may also include people from other disciplines who want an overview of group theory. We are trying to develop separate usertypes for them.
Requirements of beginners
As a beginner, you may want:
- Quick and easy access to the definitions of basic terms
- Some introductory/survey articles on aspects of group theory to provide motivation for them
- A quick way to hunt out the statement and proof of any important result
- A way to understand how the basic facts and definitions in group theory are arranged and organized
Resources for beginners
A guided tour
A special guided tour for beginners is available at:
If you, as a beginner, do not want to be inundated with the wealth of articles in group theory, and would like to concentrat on the basic ones, you can focus on:
If you want to check out for proofs of riders/exercises, you may want to check out: