Projective special linear group:PSL(3,2)
This article is about a particular group, i.e., a group unique upto isomorphism. View specific information (such as linear representation theory, subgroup structure) about this group
View a complete list of particular groups (this is a very huge list!)[SHOW MORE]
This group is defined in many equivalent ways:
- It is the projective special linear group of degree three over the field of two elements, i.e., .
- It is the special linear group of degree three over the field of two elements, i.e., .
- It is the projective general linear group of degree three over the field of two elements, i.e., .
- It is the general linear group of degree three over the field of two elements, i.e., .
- It is the projective special linear group of degree two over the field of seven elements, i.e., .
- It is the conformal automorphism group of the Klein quartic surface, which is a Riemann surface and in particular a Hurwitz surface. Hence, this group is a Hurwitz group, and is in fact the unique Hurwitz group of smallest order.
Equivalence of definitions
The equivalence between definitions (1)-(4) follows from isomorphism between linear groups over field:F2.
|order (number of elements, equivalently, cardinality or size of underlying set)||168||groups with same order|| As : |
|exponent of a group||84||groups with same order and exponent of a group | groups with same exponent of a group||Elements of order .|
|derived length||--||not a solvable group.|
|nilpotency class||--||not a nilpotent group.|
|Frattini length||1||groups with same order and Frattini length | groups with same Frattini length||Frattini-free group: intersection of maximal subgroups is trivial.|
|minimum size of generating set||2||groups with same order and minimum size of generating set | groups with same minimum size of generating set||Generated by an element of order and an element of order .|
|subgroup rank of a group||2||groups with same order and subgroup rank of a group | groups with same subgroup rank of a group||--|
|max-length of a group||5||groups with same order and max-length of a group | groups with same max-length of a group|
Arithmetic functions of a counting nature
|number of subgroups||179|
|number of conjugacy classes||6|| As , : |
|number of conjugacy classes of subgroups||15|
|Simple group||Yes||The second smallest simple non-abelian group (hence finite simple non-abelian group).|
|Hurwitz group||Yes||It is the conformal automorphism group of the Klein quartic surface, which has genus three, and its order is .|
This finite group has order 168 and has ID 42 among the groups of order 168 in GAP's SmallGroup library. For context, there are 57 groups of order 168. It can thus be defined using GAP's SmallGroup function as:
For instance, we can use the following assignment in GAP to create the group and name it :
gap> G := SmallGroup(168,42);
Conversely, to check whether a given group is in fact the group we want, we can use GAP's IdGroup function:
IdGroup(G) = [168,42]
or just do:
to have GAP output the group ID, that we can then compare to what we want.