BEWARE! This term is nonstandard and is being used locally within the wiki. [SHOW MORE]
This article defines a group property: a property that can be evaluated to true/false for any given group, invariant under isomorphism
View a complete list of group properties
VIEW RELATED: Group property implications | Group property non-implications |Group metaproperty satisfactions | Group metaproperty dissatisfactions | Group property satisfactions | Group property dissatisfactions
A rational-representation group is a finite group satisfying the following equivalent properties:
- The field of rational numbers is a splitting field, i.e., every irreducible representation in characteristic zero is realizable over the rational numbers.
- Every irreducible representation in characteristic zero can be realized over .
Equivalence of definitions
Definitions (1) and (2) are equivalent because linear representation is realizable over principal ideal domain iff it is realizable over field of fractions.
Here are some small examples, with relevant contextual information.
|Group||Order||List of degrees of irreducible representations||List of entries of matrices arising across all irreducible representations when chosen with simplest entries|
|elementary abelian group:E8||8||1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1|
|direct product of S3 and Z2||12||1,1,1,1,2,2|
|elementary abelian group:E16||16||1 (16 times)|
|direct product of D8 and Z2||16||1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2|
|direct product of S3 and V4||24||1 (8 times), 2 (4 times)|
- Symmetric groups on finite sets are rational-representation groups. For full proof, refer: Symmetric groups are rational-representation
- Dihedral group:D8 is a rational-representation group.
- Trivial group, cyclic group:Z2, and dihedral group:D8 are the only three groups with the property that all their irreducible representations can be written over the rationals as orthogonal matrices. For full proof, refer: Classification of finite groups for which every irreducible representation can be realized using orthogonal matrices over the rational numbers